If you’ve ever taken a bite out of brick-flavored squares or candy-coated nothingness, you may have sworn off these on-the-go, healthy snacks. Not to lose hope, let me help you sift through the junk to find quality protein bars filled with nutrients and taste.
1. Quest Nutrition- This clear winner is gluten-free and under 200 calories, with 20 grams of protein and 0 grams of sugar. Surprisingly, the brand’s flavors all taste decadent. With names like white chocolate raspberry and banana nut muffin, these bars satisfy taste buds while providing filling fiber to keep your cravings at bay for hours. The only negative? The price is slightly steep for these miracle bars.
2. Pure Protein- An average of 20 grams of protein and 0 grams of sugar make this bar a close runner behind Quest. The brand’s entire line of flavors are enjoyable and the price is lower than Quest’s, which may make it more financially appealing. In addition, the sugar alcohol in the protein will not raise your glucose levels like traditional sugar, according to the American Diabetes Association, making sugar crashes practically non-existent. However, the uncomfortable side effect of bloating may result post-consumption.
3. Think Thin- With 20 grams of protein and 0 grams of sugar, this bar is duly named a healthy staple with remarkable taste. Try the creamy peanut butter for a delicious afternoon treat. However, at nearly 400 grams of sodium, possible water retention and bloating may occur.
4. Detour LS version- At 3 grams of sugar and under 200 calories, this bar can be consumed alone or with a side snack of veggies or fruit. The bars above provide incredible taste with less sugar and slightly more protein but for a quick run out the door, this bar will not break your bank account or your scale.
5. Promax LS version– Although one of the top tasting bars on the list, it carries the highest sugar and calorie content. With 9 grams of sugar and 220 calories, this bar is better served as a healthier replacement for your cookie or cake fix. However, its 14 grams of fiber will provide long-lasting satiety, lessening hunger pains and cravings.